Sunday, October 19, 2014

Lady Bird Johnson and Burning Love

One way to love a Texas garden is to burn it. I learned that from the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. That Center at Texas State University seems a fitting memorial to a First Lady who was a committed environmentalist. 

I found my way to the Wildflower Center because I was doing some research at the National Archives. 

This is a photograph of the Texas Indian Mallow, a species of Abutilon like the bushy one I have growing right outside my front door in Pennsylvania. I wonder if it will be perennial here. We shall see.

I also found there another form of love Lady Bird Johnson left us - her recipe for Texas Style Chili. Now that is some burning love because her recipe was “almost as popular as the government pamphlet on the care and feeding of children.” I love the National Archives. Send some burning love.