Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Ghetto Garden Fabulous #2


I have written about my scavenger's garden before. In keeping with the theme established, I have gathered some new tricks that you might find useful in your city garden.

One of the first things I did in my garden was create a path. A garden path gives definition to the garden, aids in forming garden beds and makes it possible to get at those herbs easily when you are cooking. My itty bitty kitchen garden adds a lot of good tastes to my life.

I had a source of old bricks. You may have a source of discarded pallets. One can create beauty out of nothing much.

Every time you pass up commercial pavers and other doodads for creativity with found materials, you save money to indulge in flowers, seedlings and herbs and shrubs that might be otherwise hard on your garden budget. I bought myself fig trees.

One of the persistent problems I have had gardening in the city is Cats, my own and those of my neighbors.They defecate in the exposed earth in the garden beds.

It is partly my own fault. I grow a stand of Catnip which they love to eat and roll in. I solved the problem by using twigs to make mini paths and so they are disinclined to dig.

 I am happy to share this neat tip which solves both the problem of cats and recycling plastic utensils. Go to listotic.com for 19 more frugal gardening tips.




The moral of this story is: Use what you have. Save money and save the planet. Make Art.

“If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

(Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil.)
― Marcus Tullius CiceroLetters to His Friends, Vol 2: Books 7-12