Friday, January 24, 2014

Gus's Candy Shop in Old Trenton

I have fond memories of Gus's Candy Shop and Ice Cream Parlor in Trenton, New Jersey circa 1950. It was the place to redeem your soda bottles for 2 cents a bottle and then spend your hard earned cash on Penny Candy.

Many candies came wrapped in waxed paper. We used that paper to wax the Slides in the park to gleaming slipperiness. We would whiz down those slides so fast I am surprised none of us ever broke an arm or limb.

I remember with greedy nostalgia the names of my favorites:
Bit-O-Honey, Candy Buttons on paper tape, Candy Cigarettes, Caramel Creams (Bull's Eyes), Charleston Chew, Chuckles, Chunky, Clark Bar Jr, Dubble Bubble Gum, Bonomo's Turkish Taffy, Good & Plenty, Jujubes, Necco Wafers, Pay Day, Planter's Peanut Bars, Sugar Daddy, Teaberry Gum, Wax Bottles (Nik-L-Nips), Wax Lips and Zagnut. 
This year I am making myself a special Easter Basket. I made a candy discovery because I blog. 

I will fill My Basket with a Decade Box from Old Time Candy. It has my favorites and then some. Might make a good Valentine's Day present too. 

I will share the delights with my children and reminisce. And eat entirely too many candies myself and remember old Gus and his smile.

Eaccountable sends me notice of products to review. This post was created in partnership with eAccountable. All opinions are my own.

Buona Pasqua!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you know who owned the candy store? Did this owner pass away young? around 39? Do you know
what happened to his kids?

Cherry Tart said...

Gus was an old man when I knew him. So sorry I cannot help.