Thursday, October 31, 2013

Row House Chic

My house is referred to in modern real estate listings as a condo. Makes me smile. My house is a row house built by some thrifty working man out of brick in 1935. The row house is a feature of Philadelphia architecture and has been since the colonial era.

As you can see from the photographs, windows and doors that open directly on the street are a feature of the Philly Row.  Anybody can look in from the street. Privacy is a must.

I am an avid gardener. Indoor plants keep my blues away in Winter. Large specimens are all located in front of the East facing street window. Row houses come in styles. My house is Thirties and not Federal like the beauties in the color photograph. You can find a great deal about row house styles at The Philadelphia Row House Manual.
Sure, other cities—New York, Boston, Brooklyn and Baltimore—had row houses, but Philadelphia’s were more efficient, plentiful and affordable. More than anything else, the late-19th century Philadelphia row house propelled Philadelphia to become the Workshop of the World. - from Ken Finkel
I was searching for a window covering that would let in lots of light for my plantypoos and give maximum privacy. I also enjoy watching RosyPosy and the other hooligan children playing out front. Yesterday Rosy fell into my planter. All's well that ends with only a skinned elbow. I want to be able to see what's happening on the pavement at will. I wanted something that did not compete with my Thirties molding. I looked a long time without success. I get an email from DecorView suggesting that I might want to review their window coverings. So I did.

When you get to their website, you discover that your choice of styles, textures, and transparency is so vast it is kind of overwhelming. Decorview will send a nice person to your house to give you free design assistance too. I have one big odd shaped window to do. You might have 37.

Go there. You will not be sorry. Their products are designed and made in the United States. This post was created in partnership with eAccountable. All opinions are my own.

No comments: