Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Park for Fruit and People

I found the City Farmer News website which covers all aspects of sustainable farming. I have been envisioning turning the many pocket parks in Philadelphia into mini fruit farms, so I was cheered on when I saw that I am not alone in my thinking. I love the idea of a Fruit Park which is at once a source of corporal and spiritual nourishment.

 Grand Opening On Saturday, January 5, 2013 At Del Aire Park
Press Release
Dec 26, 2012
The trees were planted with the support of the Los Angeles County Arts Commission Civic Art Program and the guidance of Fallen Fruit, an artists’ collaborative founded by David Burns, Matias Viegener and Austin Young, whose mission is to unite communities through the creation of sustainable public art projects. Del Aire residents planted 27 fruit trees, eight grape vines, more than 60 trees were given away to neighbors. Once the trees bear fruit, all park visitors will be encouraged to pick from the new edible landscape at harvest time. Within three years, the trees are expected to be completely sustainable and drought tolerant.

No comments: