Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Growing Rice in Africa

I am interested in growing good things to eat.  My interests range from backyard herb gardens to farmers and farming globally.  I found this press release from the United Nations reassuring.  I wonder about the world food supply and the effect of global warming on the earth.  I wonder how many rice farmers in Africa are women.  And I love Rice.

http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/164713/icode/

19 November 2012, Rome - Global rice production for 2012 is forecast to outpace consumption in 2012/13, resulting in an upward revision of 5 million tonnes in 2013 closing inventories, according to a new forecast by FAO's  Rice Market Monitor issued today.

"Compared to last year, world rice carryover stocks are expected to rise by 7 percent, or 10 million tonnes, to a new high of almost 170 tonnes, marking the eighth consecutive year of stock accumulation," says the RMM. "As a result, the world rice stock-to-use ratio is forecast to rise from 33.6 percent in 2012 to 35.5 percent in 2013."

Learn how to cook rice with pictures and directions for the beginning cook at this this wonderful blog:



No comments: